Your dog ate weed by accident. Now what?
A few years ago, my former housemateвЂ™s dog ate weed вЂ”В a cannabis-infused brownie, to be exact. She connected the dots when she noticed her normally docile, sweet-natured chihuahua mix fearfully snapping at anyone within reach вЂ” and the disappearance of the weed brownie she had stashed in her purse. The high wore off eventually, and luckily, her pupper was just fine. But what exactly happens when your pet accidentally eats weed, and whatвЂ™s the best way to handle it?
Amid the rising tide of cannabis legalization and growing acceptance of the substance overall, pet owners have probably begun asking themselves these questions more often. Indeed, thereвЂ™s evidence to suggest these accidents might become more common. One study found that during a steep rise in medical marijuana registrations in Colorado between 2005 and 2010, marijuana toxicosis cases in dogs quadrupled at two veterinary hospitals in the state.
Dogs are far more likely than any other pet to eat your weed brownie, Steven Friedenberg, an assistant professor at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, tells Mic. вЂњWe see dogs being a lot more curious about things and interested in eating everything than many other species.вЂќ Cats, on the other hand, tend to be much more finicky about what they eat.
If your doggo does get into your stash, itвЂ™ll take roughly 30 minutes to an hour for the weed to take effect, says Karl Jandrey, a professor at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. Intoxication in dogs looks similar, but not the same, as it does in their humans. Physically, they might have unusually dilated pupils, a slower heart rate, and difficulty walking, if they can walk at all. (In severe cases, they might just lie still.) They also often dribble urine uncontrollably. Behavior-wise, they tend to startle more easily and be warier of people they normally trust.
This heightened apprehension might explain why eating a weed brownie made my old housemateвЂ™s dog so aggro, although Jandrey notes itвЂ™s more common for weed to result in a general lethargy. But chocolate, which is toxic to dogs, can cause agitation, Friedenberg says вЂ” so the chocolate in the brownie might have played a role.
It also matters whether your Very Good (but very high) Boy or Girl ingested an edible versus flower. Since, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC, the main inebriating compound in marijuana) is fat-soluble, a stick of weed butter or a brownie has a higher concentration of THC than an equivalent volume of, say, THC-infused seltzer вЂ” and will therefore mess up your pet more, according to Friedenberg. Size matters, too. вЂњThe smaller the animal, the more toxic,вЂќ Jandrey says. In other words, a weed brownie would probably have a smaller effect on a Great Dane than it did on my former housemateвЂ™s smol chihuahua mix.
Dogs have the ability to recycle a class of compounds called cannabinoids, which includes THC, in weed. When the dog eats their next meal, the bile gets secreted back into the intestines, basically re-exposing the them to the cannabinoids.
The effects of an edible high usually last for around 18 to 24 hours in dogs, Jandrey says; in humans, they last for only up to 12 hours, according to Harvard Health. Jandrey explains that dogs have the ability to recycle a class of compounds called cannabinoids, which includes THC, in weed. The cannabinoids get absorbed through the gut and later stored in the bile, important for digesting fats. When the dog eats their next meal, the bile gets secreted back into the intestines, basically re-exposing the them to the cannabinoids.
Dogs usually just sleep off the weed, Friedenberg says, but there have been some case reports of dogs dying from eating weed or weed-laden products. (The study of the Colorado veterinary hospitals reported the deaths of two dogs that had eaten weed butter in baked products.) Most were small dogs that consumed extremely high doses, which can cause respiratory depression, or slow, insufficient breathing. Friedenberg says such cases are rare, though.
So how do you know if you should take your fur baby to the doc, or if theyвЂ™ll be fine riding it out at home? вЂњI think for the most part, if youвЂ™re concerned about your animalвЂ™s health at all and not sure whatвЂ™s going on, the best thing to do is bring your dog to a veterinarian,вЂќ Friedenberg says. Let your vet know if youвЂ™re concerned that your pupper got a hold of your weed, so they actually know what your dog is dealing with and donвЂ™t run tests for a totally different condition. If youвЂ™re worried about the legal repercussions, Friedenberg says your vet probably wonвЂ™t care.
If youвЂ™re comfortable with your dog being mildly affected вЂ” вЂњa little wobbly, a little incontinentвЂќ вЂ” but mostly okay, and their symptoms donвЂ™t worsen, they probably donвЂ™t need veterinary attention, Jandrey says. Just make sure theyвЂ™re eating and drinking normally, Friedenberg adds.
But if your doggoвЂ™s symptoms worsen within an hour or two of you first noticing them, get to a vet, since they could worsen even further over the next few hours, Jandrey says. And if your dog is hard to rouse, or you struggle to get them to walk, Friedenberg suggests going to the hospital, where theyвЂ™ll likely be given an intravenous lipid solution that can help absorb THC in the bloodstream. Head to the ER if you have a small dog you suspect has eaten a high dose of weed.
To keep your pets from getting their paws on your weed in the first place, store it in a medicine cabinet, on a high shelf, or other hard-to-access spot, Friedenberg says. Take these precautions before you become impaired, rather than passing out and waking up to find your dog scarfed down the gummies you left on the counter in your edible-induced haze. Or, if you dog already tends to misbehave in general, consider keeping them crated when youвЂ™re not at home.
Since dogs will eat anything, even stuff you wouldnвЂ™t consider edible, remember to keep all cannabis products out of their reach. Jandrey recently treated a small dog that ate six joints, sneaking them from the coffee able while their human had some friends over to smoke. вЂњYou can never predict what an animal will do,вЂќ he says. They may not even be hungry, just inquisitive.
Basically, safeguard your pets from weed as you would kids from medications, Jandrey says. Seeing your fur baby high can be scary, but if they do get to your stash, theyвЂ™ll probably emerge on the other side just fine, like my old housemateвЂ™s dog, even if it takes a couple of hours.
This article was originally published on November 4, 2019
A few years ago, my former housemateвЂ™s dog ate weed вЂ”В a cannabis-infused brownie, to be exact. She connected the dots when she noticed her normally docile, sweet-natured chihuahua mix fearfully snapping at anyone within reach вЂ” and the disappearanceвЂ¦
Tiny dog weighing just 2lb eats owner’s hash brownie and looks ridiculously high
Share this with
We all know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. And it’s widely acknowledged that you shouldn’t give them weed.
Not only can they not consent, but we don’t know the effect it has on them or how being high could make them feel.
While smoking weed might make humans relaxed, it could make an animal quite anxious – especially because they won’t know what’s going on.
Some dogs have been known to vomit or lose control of their legs or bladder when they’re given weed – and, let’s face it, that’s not desirable for anyone.
So if you’re making hash brownies and you have a dog, especially a 2lb chihuahua, you should make sure you keep the brownies out of the dog’s reach.
This girl though made the mistake of leaving her pot brownies lying around – and yes, the dog ate them.
The girl in question goes by Twitter handle @ImNotSane – which is fitting given the photos she uploaded for her followers.
Including the bag, to show that the dog had indeed nibbled through to get at the brownie.
And this one, that shows how small the little dog is. So tiny, in fact, that he only weighs 2lbs – which is no more than a bag of sugar.
And then this one. Which anyone who has ever eaten too much hash cake will understand.
Fortunately, the dog is ok now.
‘While Cannabis sativa contains more than 60 cannabinoids, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the most toxic, affecting the nervous system,’ reports Compassion Center.
The most common clinical effects of ingestion of marijuana include depression, ataxia, – a loss of motor coordination and balance – vomiting and hypothermia. It can also decrease the rate of the heartbeat or even abnormally increase it.
And, while these effects can occur within just half an hour of ingesting the marijuana, they can last anywhere from 12 hours to days on end.
In other words, the physical effects it can have on your pet are nothing to joke about.
Twitter user @ImNotSane posted pictures of her tiny chihuahua weighing just 2lb after it ate some of her pot-brownie and looked ridiculously high.