Telling Sex By Smell
This technique is not for amateurs!
How can you tell if you have a male or female while in veg?
You first need to have at least two plants of the same strain. Both plants need to be about 2 feet tall for the scent to be strong enough. Some strains work even earlier.
1. place your finger around the main stem of the plant
2. rub it up and down to get the scent on your hand
3. smell it!
what’s the difference? a male plant will have a more aggressive smell, while a female has a much gentler, prettier smell if you will. You need the two plants in order to have something to compare against. Once your familiar with the strains smell. you can judge a male or female before it even shows any noticable signs of sex.
Allow me to be more clear about this post, first I should have titled it “judging sex by smell”
I did not start this post to argue with damn kids, it is to inform all the intelligent growers out there that are interested. It does work and the proof is in ALL plants not just weed.
I don’t care what opinion you kids have.
This technique is not for amateurs! How can you tell if you have a male or female while in veg? You first need to have at least two plants of the same…
When does it start to smell when growing weed?
The cannabis buds we know and love have a noticeable smell. They stink. I love the smell, some people hate it, and every strain is different.
But when growing weed, do the plants start smelling? And how much?
The answer is that each individual strain and plant is different. But here’s what to keep in mind:
At what age do cannabis plants start to smell?
Short Answer: The smell starts at 3-6 weeks old (depending on strain) even in the vegetative stage. But the smell gets much worse after plants start flowering/making buds.
The leaves of a cannabis plant smell a little, but the buds smell a lot. When plants are young they don’t make a lot of smell, but once the plants get big and start growing buds, the smell can be intense.
- Cannabis plants are too small to smell for at least the first few weeks after germination.
- Most plants don’t have a whole lot of smell until they get big or start flowering (making buds)
- However, I have grown strains where plants start smelling at only 3-4 weeks old in the vegetative stage
- Usually, by the time any plant is 6 weeks old, it’s big enough to have a noticeable smell
- Leaves make a smell, but buds create an intense aroma
- Bigger plants smell more
- More plants smell more
- Some strains smell more than others
- Choose a strain that produces less smell (though plant will still have an odor). Check out these low-odor strains.
- Take precautions to ensure no one ever smells anything: Learn how to prevent smells while growing
When does it start to smell when growing weed? The cannabis buds we know and love have a noticeable smell. They stink. I love the smell, some people hate it, and every strain is different. But